Summer is well and truly here! (I can say that with conviction as it’s currently 37˚C!). And with summer comes backyard bbq parties and the dilemma of what to take with you as your pot luck offering.
Well, worry no more! This month’s recipe, borne out of the need to find a salad not imported from the US of A (I’m on a Trump boycott AND trying to buy less produce wrapped in plastic), has a dressing that tastes exactly like the one in the Kale and Brussel Sprout pre-packaged salad kit you can get from Pemby’s grocery store. So it’s delicious, and it’s also so easy to make you’ll be left wondering why you ever bought a ready made salad in the first place!
So here it is, the tastiest, easiest Broccoli Salad ever. And make sure to tell everyone you made it yourself! 😉
- 8 cups broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup bacon bits (I used turkey bacon because I don’t eat the other variety!)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt & pepper
Whisk together cider vinegar, sugar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, onion, cranberries, sunflower seeds, and bacon bits.
- Pour the prepared dressing over and mix well.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- Preparation time = 15 minutes.
- Yields 8 servings.